If you love football or sports, you’re going to enjoy today’s show as Jim Stump, former chaplain for the San Francisco 49ers, Giants, and Stanford University talks about his time working with legendary NFL coaches, Bill Walsh and Tony Dungy. Jim chats about his time mentoring Tony Dungy during Tony’s early days in the National Football League. Jim and Jeff share practical tips about mentoring others and sharing your faith in Jesus Christ with others.
To obtain any of the resources mentioned in today’s show, simply click the resource title in this post for a direct link to learn more and get your copy.
The success that came from serving under 13 consecutive head coaches at Stanford for 45 years, including Hall of Fame inductee Bill Walsh, stemmed from his one on one prearranged meetings with the 35 scholar athletes who signed up each quarter to be mentored by him one hour per week. Many of the athletes who sought his advice and wisdom have gone on to successful careers in sports, business, ministry and the professions, including Tony Dungy, author and Super Bowl winning Head Coach.
- You need at least one mentor in your life
- The One we should be imitating daily is Jesus Christ
- Jesus asked the disciples to follow Him. He didn’t ask them to be biblical scholars or theologians. He simply asked them to follow Him.
- Sometimes the best way to reach someone through the Gospel is to simply get to know them as a friend.
- You cannot argue people into Heaven.
- For full show notes and links to the resources discussed on this episode go HERE
- Get Your FREE audiobook and FREE 30-day trial to Audible here: FREE Book
- Get a discounted pre-order copy of Jeff’s evangelism training book, signup to the weekly email list HERE
- The Master Plan of Evangelism
- More than a Carpenter
- Evidence that Demands a Verdict
- The Power of One on One
- Request Jeff Jerina to speak at your church, school or group at the MenUnplugged Speaking page.